Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How Public, Like a Frog

I'm lucky enough to know many adults who changed career paths in their 30s, 40s, and even 50s. The students I teach, coworkers at the library, friends of parents, my father: their journeys were not a straight trajectory out of high school or college. I say that I'm "lucky" to have witnessed these because I know with certainty that I don't have to have everything figured out right now; I know beyond a doubt that it's ok what I'm doing now. 

But I don't see myself doing this five years from now, at least not in its current form.  I twittered yesterday, "It's selfish 2want 2 sit around thinking of my own things to write instead of sitting around thinking of ways to teach others how to write" (I originally wanted to ask, "Is it selfish..." but was limited by space!) I soon went to bed, deciding to get up early this morning and finish that planning. I'd received a reply to my statement: "Sometimes we have to refill ourselves before we can help others. Be selfish!"

Each person has his own ways, both large and small, of sabotaging himself. Me, I procrastinate. I let things go. I make things harder than they need to be. And I've done this ever since I was small, usually in the context of not being challenged enough.  

Interesting. I'll have to see where this leads.

No comments: