Friday, March 27, 2009

Out and about

My grandma asks, somewhat unrhetorically, how people know how to behave, how to make choices, how to distinguish between right or wrong, without some belief system that involves a higher power. "What's the point," she asks, "if you're not living your life for the Lord?"

I certainly don't claim to know the answer to that question. But there is a point... there has to be. Non-belief takes as much a leap of faith as belief does, and I'm not arrogant (or brave?) enough to make either claim. But I know, regardless of the answer, each of us has a responsibility to ourselves and to the society in which we live to behave a certain way. To make certain choices. To distinguish between right and wrong.

I think it's a little harder, though, to figure things out.

1 comment:

Ecocandle said...

I don't think one needs faith to be friendly.
In the movies, or novels, or on the stage, the writer has created the scene to blur the distinction between right and wrong. In life, I think it is much easier, if it feels wrong, it probably is.