Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Last Week's Five After Five

I hung out in a grocery store again last Friday.

Station One
  • Wine - Humber Gruner Veltliner
This white wine was quite tasty. It was sweet yet complex.
  • Food - "My Dad's Garlic Bread"
The garlic bread was fine, but what was truly delicious was the sauce they gave us to dip the bread in. Ha - it was probably Ragu (but organic!)

Station Two
  • Wine - Edna Valley Chardonnay
This wine had an oaky aftertaste. None of us liked it very much...
  • Food - skipped it
Station Three
  • Wine - Altos Malbec
Malbec is probably my favorite red wine. It's not too sweet but still goes down smooth. (I really should take a wine-tasting class so I can learn the appropriate adjectives:)
  • Food - Spinach Feta Orzo
I can't remember if I ate this or not...

Station Four
  • Wine - Paso A Paso Tempranillo
I remember really liking this red wine. The guy who poured here came across as an extra from "Dazed and Confused."
  • Food - Seafood Gumbo
It tasted good, but I think I would have liked it better with chicken or beef. The seafood taste overwhelmed some of the other flavors in the gumbo.

Station Five
  • Wine - Layercake Primotivo
Layercake makes great wine, and the Primotivo was no exception. It went great with the fondue...

  • Food - Swiss Cheese Fondue
What was supposed to be warm and smooth was room temperature and sticky, but it was still delish.

After Whole Foods we went to Cactus Pear in Clifton. I regretfully ordered a cheeseburger and drank water, while most of my friends--there were twelve of us!--split three pitchers of margaritas.

No comments: