Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I Think I'll Wear a Dress Today

It is absolutely beautiful outside. Sunny and warm (but not too warm), it's the kind of day that makes you want to get out of the house.

Yesterday was the last day of the quarter; grades are due Friday. During my brief break before the next quarter begins, I'm finally heading down to Asheville, NC. Not only does the city boast gorgeous mountains and a thriving arts scene, but it also is home to Warren Wilson College. I'm moving forward and taking baby steps. From Warren Wilson's Low Res Program overview (emphasis mine):
The Program's commitment to active teaching and active learning is unshakeable. While the balanced study of literature and the craft of writing does make its graduates attractive candidates for teaching positions, no one should apply to the program if he/she seeks the degree mainly for employment purposes. Likewise, while our graduates publish their work widely, no one should apply seeking only an editor for projects progress. Our goal is not to supply credentials or technical support, but to assist students with their education and their development of writers.
This is part of what attracts me to a program like this. While I am seeking a terminal degree in my area of interest, something that would give me the option to teach at a variety of schools, I am more interested in growing and developing as a writer.

No comments: