Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"...the next time you turn on the TV and see yourself called 'overpaid'..."

If you haven't seen it already, please check out Matt Damon's impassioned defense of teachers at a Save Our Schools (SOS) rally.



To loud cheers, he says, "I don’t know where I would be today if my teachers’ job security was based on how I performed on some standardized test. If their very survival as teachers was based on whether I actually fell in love with the process of learning but rather if I could fill in the right bubble on a test."

2 comments:

Tonja said...

Thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately I think the quality of teachers in any normal public school is very hit and miss - even in a good one. There are great teachers and not so great ones. I agree it's not about the bubbles. Great speech.

August said...

I agree. I had awesome teachers in elementary school (public montessori) but high school was definitely a mixed bag. I think the current environment will discourage potentially great teachers from entering the classroom, especially as pay and benefits are reduced.