Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snow Day

My new smart phone does many things, from email and twitter to Facebook and web browsing. But I can't write and submit a new blog post from it, at least not the traditional way.

Anyway, as my title suggests, I had a snow day today. One of the benefits of living in the Midwest is that we don't get heavy snowfall that often, but when we do, we go crazy. Most schools and some businesses are closed, cars are wrecked, and grocery stores have a run on bread and milk. Me, I can walk to my favorite chili place, my favorite pizza place, and my favorite convenience store; in other words, I don't stock up on supplies. And if I get desperate, I can even walk another quarter mile to Starbucks.

We've had some snowfall the past few days, though most of it fell today. My downstairs neighbor and I have been playing chicken to see who would finally shovel the driveway. Since I was off, and he clearly wasn't, I went ahead and shoveled when it appeared my fall-back plan, the solar method (i.e. wait 'til it melts), wouldn't happen for some time.

I just heard his car (a little Honda) struggle to make it up the first part of the driveway - I shoveled that part last, and by then I think the temperature had crept above freezing, making the snow heavy. An icy inch is better than a snowy 8 inches, right?

No comments: