Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April fools

I was probably eight or nine years old, my brothers four and six.  We were living in a two-story house on a busy street. The yard was small and fenced in the front and back, but my mom took good care of it. She kept the lawn mowed and neat, and she always planted flowers. It wasn't uncommon for her to be digging around in the front yard.

She called my brothers and I out front - we were inside, probably watching TV. She held out a small, earring-sized box. Her voice soft and shaky, she said, "I found this."

She uncovered the box to reveal a human finger, covered in dirt. I remember one of my brothers being very disturbed, but I was fascinated. I asked questions like, "Whose was it?" and "Was it buried in the ground?"

I think that's when the finger moved and we all screamed.

"April Fools!" she said. She had poked a hole through the bottom of the box, stuck her finger through, and then filled it with dirt. It was very Cosby Show.

No good pranks, first-hand, today. I thought that Obama's Ipod gift to the Queen was an April Fool's day prank, but it wasn't. Click and Clack took over GM, but that was clearly a joke (and if it wasn't, cool!) 

Anyway, I decided that I would aim to write a story a week. Nothing to share, nothing to publish, but just a desire to keep up with it. They'll probably be bad, but that's ok. I've got #1 sketched out, woo hoo!


No comments: