Sunday, April 26, 2009

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Henry David Thoreau

I can write awesome emails (or, as I think they used to be called, "letters"). Give me time to percolate on a subject or dilemma, and I can be thoughtful and poignant and, at times, helpful. If life were an exchange of emails, I would kick life's butt. If all life required was to sit back, think, analyze, and respond to it in word form, it would be easy to suck the marrow out of that. 

But obviously, this isn't all that life requires. Real life is messy and wonderful and at times incredibly unfair. A friend of friends, close in age to my brothers, was recently diagnosed with leukemia. This person has an incredible amount of support from friends and family alike; this person will fight and win.