Friday, August 28, 2009

Another reason to love gmail...

I had a eureka moment yesterday morning.

These past few months, I've gone through this cycle of ambivalence/ restlessness/ anxiety about my future. What am I doing? Where am I going? I've toyed with the idea of going back to school for any number of things, from library science to english composition and pedagogy.

Any school excites me: getting assignments and essays, doing research, becoming more skilled and knowledgeable. I could go back for archaelogy, paleontology, mathematics, political science, history, and I would thoroughly enjoy it. The problem would come after. I don't see myself excited about any field "after" except creative writing.

A few months ago, I looked into and dismissed (or, at least, postponed) the idea of a low-residency MFA program. A low-res MFA program allows its students to stay where they are, even work full time, while working toward the degree. Then twice a year, students and faculty gather for one or two weeks of intense workshop. They might meet at the school's campus, or they might travel to another idyllic location, depending on the program.

Yesterday morning, checking my email, one of google's "intuitive" and "targeted" ads appeared in the right margin and said to "GET YOUR MFA!" Light bulb. Eureka. Duh! Here I've been whining about what I want to do with my life, when I've known what I want to do. I just hadn't made the commitment to do so.

I'm at the beginning of this process. There are a number of well-reputed low-res programs around the country; the trick is finding one that's the best fit for me.

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you. ~Ray Bradbury

2 comments:

Dan said...

Do low-res MFA programs allow you to submit material written on home-made paper?

If so, I approve. (I know you were waiting for *my* approval.)

In all seriousness: I had so much fun doing writing prompts with you when we were in elementary school. (Okay, half seriousness.)

george rede said...

Congratulations on the breakthrough. I just met someone recently who is doing a low-res MFA at Goddard College in Vermont. If you're interested in learning about her experience, she is Jennifer, the newest follower on my blog. I mentioned her in a recent post of mine -- the Writers Roundtable on Orcas. Good luck with your research!