Saturday, May 1, 2010

Good Problems?

This quarter, I have no ESL students. Nor do I have any students who appear to need significant remedial skills. The students' eyes glossed over as I described the basics of composing an essay, planning, drafting, generating ideas. But they were engaged and interested as they shared their own writing and seemed to enjoy my combination of praise and criticism. Maybe I've underestimated previous classes - I didn't recognize it because the classes were so big. This quarter, with two smaller sections instead of one huge one, maybe I can better match the needs of individual students.

This is a good problem to have. However, my syllabus and lesson plans are written for students who need basic writing skills (not that I haven't had strong writers before - they got the short end of the stick as I focused on getting everyone to the same level). I have to look for new and better ways to challenge this new group.

No comments: