Saturday, June 19, 2010

Grown-up Things (cont.)

Our friends hosted a potluck dinner party last night. Mike and Nancy, who got married last summer, have a lovely suburban house with a great back yard, complete with swing set and hill (I did go down the slide, feet first, and I may or may not have rolled down the hill).

Many of my friends (myself included) are in periods of transition. We may have had college educations and post-graduate experience, but our jobs haven't been careers; or the positions were temporary. Mike and Nancy seem the exception. They not only have stable careers that will remain in the Cincinnati area, they also have put down permanent roots here. Mike loved showing off his composting and gardens full of peppers, onions, broccoli, and tomatoes. Nancy served a home-cooked meal, chicken, mashed potatoes, and dinner rolls; there were five dessert options.

Two months from now, my savings account depleted, I may be kicking myself for my decision. I had a kind of stability that is hard to come by these days. But obviously I don't think that will be the case.

(My first "Grown-up Things" entry)

No comments: