Thursday, June 18, 2009

@perfectsand

I woke up at 3am again and couldn't fall back asleep. At least I managed to finish the book I'd been reading...

I've been following the protests in Iran and wondering the truth about what's going on there vs my own projections. The mainstream media hasn't paid much attention to this story, and so a lot of information has come via tweets (#iranelection) and blogs such as The Daily Dish. What seems clear is that the vote count is inaccurate and that there is no free speech in Iran.

So I had to laugh this morning when I came across an article in TalkingPointsMemo. Yesterday, TPM reported, Republican Congressman Pete Hoekstra tweeted about the situation in Iran, "Iranian twitter activity similar to what we did in House last year when Republicans were shut down in the House." The reaction on twitter was fast and furious, and here are some examples of replies (via TPM):
ArjunJaikumar @petehoekstra i spilled some lukewarm coffee on myself just now, which is somewhat analogous to being boiled in oil
chrisbaskind @petehoekstra My neighbor stopped me to talk today. Now I know what it is like to be questioned by the Basij!
luckbfern @petehoekstra I stand in solidarity with the oppressed rich white men of Repub Party in the House. #GOPfail Allah Akbar!
aciolino @petehoekstra Today I poked my finger on a hanger. Now I know what all those aborted babies go through.
ceedub7 @petehoekstra I got a splinter in my hand today. Felt just like Jesus getting nailed to the cross.
netw3rk @petehoekstra Someone walked in on me while I was in the bathroom. Reminded me of Pearl Harbor.
MattOrtega Walked out onto Constitution Ave in D.C. and was almost hit by a taxi. Reminded me of Tienanmen Square.
tharodge @petehoekstra maybe now is a good time to reconsider whether you are ready for national politics?
TahirDuckett @petehoekstra ran through the sprinklers this morning, claimed solidarity with victims of Hurricane Katrina
paganmist @petehoekstra Had to move all my stuff to a new office w/o a corner view. Now i know what the Trail of Tears was like. #GOPfail


Clever, eh? I'd almost feel bad for the congressman. But I've always had issues with people comparing their plights to those of others, even in situations far more analogous than the minority party in a democracy vs oppressed population in a theocracy. He just seems so dense.

(I was thinking of titling this post, "The Revolution Will Be Twitterized," but google--after asking me, Do you mean, "The Revolution Will Be Twittered"?--tells me that many, many articles already have that catchy title:)

No comments: