Saturday, June 6, 2009

"Silence is a text easy to misread."

~A.A. Attanasio

I've had a good past couple of days (I wonder how normal it is for people to constantly reflect over time spent and make evaluative judgments as to the quality and worthiness of that time?  Is it a writer thing?  Is it an introvert thing?  Or is it an everyone thing and I just didn't realize it?)

Thursday night I met with an informal writer's group ("SHORTS"). We sat around sketching ideas and pieces of stories. It was an interesting dynamic, sitting outside at a bar that became progressively louder as the night went on. That noise and patrons' distracting conversations (one girl loudly declared that she "for real hates the word 'zero'!") were at times hard to overcome. But, then, silence and quiet exert their own kinds of pressure and distraction.

Friday I met up with friends at a local Thai restaurant, where I had some of the best pad thai I've ever eaten - probably because I didn't have to pick anything out of it.  

Best of all, today I'll see my dad again.  Woo!

No comments: