Sunday, June 7, 2009

When she moves like she runs...

A few years ago, when I lived with a roommate, we developed a routine of running two or three mornings a week. After about 30 minutes, we came back to the apartment, put on a pot of coffee, and got ready for work while blaring one of our cds from a small player. The music was usually upbeat: The Shins, Killers, and Loving Spoonful (save the Coldplay, Elliot Smith, and Cat Power for the evenings). But my favorite cd to listen to in the mornings was Neko Case's great "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood," particularly the second track:


Running gives me energy and confidence. What's ironic is that I'm more likely to run when I'm already feeling pretty good about things; but it would make more sense to force myself to run when I'm feeling less than good - get that energy back; regain confidence.

Anyway, I just returned from a power walk around the neighborhood. I had a good day grading midterms, pleasantly surprised by some of the exams.

2 comments:

george rede said...

Enjoyed this post on two levels:
-- Nice to imagine you running, then and now. If it brings you energy and confidence, when you're already feeling pretty good, that's great. Makes everything and everyone a lot easier to take.

-- It's always fun to run into a music video on a blog. Seeing this one made me regret missing Neko's performance here in Portland on Friday AND Saturday. And a day before that, I missed Camera Obscura. Clearly, I need to pay more attention to the music listings.

August said...

I missed Camera Obscura too, just a couple of weeks ago. But I have no excuse; I knew they were here. I love music, but I've never been much of a concert-goer, apart from the requisite college-aged They Might Be Giants and Lilith Fair-type shows!