Sunday, January 31, 2010

This Too Shall Pass

Thanks to a lovely day at the library Friday that included lunch from Wild Ginger (Thai!), to a wonderful Five after Five that involved five vegetarian dishes and some stellar wine choices (it was so crowded that by the time we went through, they'd had to change wines at a few stations, so I'm not sure which we had beside 3 whites and two reds), and to a very nice time up in Dayton that involved a 30-minute tour of their art institute and a homemade spicy Cajun-style shrimp and sausage dish, I have officially recovered from my Thursday doldrums. I still have this pit of anxiety in my stomach regarding all things class-related, but I'll chug on, hope that it shrinks, and even do whatever I can to make it disappear altogether.

Also making me happy? President Obama's meeting with Republicans on Friday, particularly the Q&A session that followed his opening remarks. Every question a Republican asked, Obama considered and responded respectfully in a way that showed he understood the issues but also that he knew why his approach was better and why so many of the political talking points (on both sides, he acknowledged) are disingenuous.

I was talking to my mom about this yesterday - even though he's governing from the center, leaving many progressives disheartened, I really believe he's aiming to change the culture in Washington. He's practicing what he preached during the campaign. And as someone (maybe Andrew Sullivan) put it, this is entirely necessary after 8 years of Bush. Short term frustrations, hopefully, will yield long-term gains. Though I couldn't be more ecstatic that he's finally pushing for a repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," a policy that seems increasingly ridiculous.

Here's the video of the Q&A Session. It's worth watching alone for the reminder that President Obama is super smart!


No comments: